Hello guys, it’s me again! I started investing in skincare around November last year. I was just looking for a simple solution to a major skin breakout until I got hooked with all the skincare methods and started trying out different products, and eventually creating a blog for it. Through the months of various trials and errors in skincare, I have learned a lot on how to take care of my skin through not-so-extensive research (Google and other blogs) and personal experience.
So in this blog post, I will be sharing the skincare tips that I have learned, and applied on my day-to-day skincare routine. I have proven that these methods are effective for me, and I think that they are effective in general. However, before anything else, I would like to clarify that I am in no way a skincare expert and what I will be writing here is only for the sake of sharing and suggesting for those who would like to start investing in skincare and for those who are new 🙂
So, without further ado, here are my skincare tips to live by:
1. Make time for your routine. I always make sure that I start doing my routine at 9PM. Just like any other activity, your skincare routine needs to have a slot in your evening schedule. In this way you can avoid being too lazy to do it (after a full day of various activities) or forgetting about it. This is to train your mind, and your body to be more religious in doing your skincare by making it a priority at a certain time. After doing your skincare, you can proceed doing whatever it is that you need to do, (study, watch TV, etc.) with a more relaxed state of mind.
2. Never forget to wash your face. There are days when you’re really lazy to do anything and all you want to do when you get home is lie on your bed and doze off immediately. In this case, of course you wouldn’t have enough energy to do a full-on skincare routine. However, you can still be kind to your skin by at least wiping off excess oil and dirt from your face with a cleansing tissue before finally going to sleep. This will help prevent your skin from accumulating dirt that causes pimples.
3. Never forget to wear sunscreen in the morning. At first, I wasn’t really keen on putting anything on my face in the morning because it makes me feel heavy. However, as my skincare obsession progressed, I came to realize that sunscreen is important especially when you slather a lot of products on your face. This will prevent hyperpigmentation and sunburn (which can really happen because there are some skincare products that shouldn’t be exposed to sunlight.)
4. Always start with the lightest product and work your way to the heaviest when doing your routine. Applying a much heavier product before a lighter one might cancel out the effects of the lighter product. You don’t always have to follow the recommended order of products as endorsed by the 10-step Korean Skincare routine. if you’re not comfortable with changing the order of the steps, just make sure that the products you use follow the lightest to heaviest dynamic. After all, it isn’t really hard to find products that follow the 10-step routine because some brands also model their skincare lines from the famous Korean Skincare routine.
5. Do not try on more than one new product at once. If you are introducing something new to your skin, you should observe its effects on you for at least two weeks before applying another new product. In this way, you can easily determine if the new product is good for you, and if it actually makes a difference. Putting too many new products all at once may actually do more damage, trust me, this has happened to me before, and it took me weeks to make my face look presentable again.
6. Know your skin type. This is a no-brainer, you have to know what your skin needs before you start buying products. To be honest, I didn’t know what my skintype was when I was still starting with this whole skincare routine thing (of course I had a routine before, but it wasn’t as extensive as this.) and I bought a few items which weren’t really for me (but they were in the hype), so they ended up in my sister’s vanity. If you do not want to spend money on things that aren’t really for you, do your research first before going to the cashier.
7. Know which ingredients are effective on your skin. Although some products claim that they’re good for a certain skin type, that does not guarantee that you’ll get good results from it. Therefore, you must know which key ingredients gives a positive effect on your skin so that you won’t have a hard time looking for the next skincare product to buy.
8. Do not be afraid to try on different products. The thing about Korean skincare is that it’s very innovative, skincare brands come up with a new line every now and then to keep with with the latest trends and technology, which means they also phase out some old products. It’s pretty hard to stay loyal on something that might be gone someday soon, right? So my advice is that you keep with with the technology, too. Follow the above-mentioned tip when buying new products, and skincare shopping for new products won’t be as risky.
9. Wait for the product to be absorbed by the skin before applying the next layer. If you don’t want your face to be greasy and heave after slathering 10 layers of products, wait until your skin has absorbed whatever gel you applied before putting another layer. This doesn’t take too much time for lighter products, such as the toner. But for heavier products, giving your face that extra massage when applying and waiting for a minute or two will give you better results. Also, there are some products that need more time for it to work its wonders such as the serum, or the essence. Try drinking tea or watching an episode of your favorite TV show first before applying the next product. In the morning, after putting on my moisturizer, I fix my things that I’ll be bringing to work first before I apply my sunscreen so my face won’t look too dewy.
10. Be gentle on the area around your eyes. The skin around our eyes are extra sensitive and is most likely to develop wrinkles faster if it is disturbed by tugging, etc. When applying my eye cream, I use my ring finger because they say that it is the most gentle finger and is less likely to put pressure on the under eyes.
11. Go for facials every now and then. I go to the facial spa at least once a month to have my whiteheads extracted by trained professionals. This isn’t really necessary, but it you want that extra pampering, go ahead and go to your nearest facial spa! It will make you feel better and it will help you in getting rid of your skin problems that you didn’t know you have.
12. Have fun! Doing my skincare routine for me is the most relaxing part of my day, especially when I have a new product to try on. Don’t pressure yourself do commit to doing it if you don’t feel happy or light whenever applying products on your skin, because by the end of the day, it is still your life disposition that will give you that youthful skin 🙂
That’s all! DO you have skincare tips and practices that you’s like to share? Comment down below.
Until next time,